Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Jake

As I stepped into the kitchen, I realized that I was walking on a carpet of
crumbs. Something shining in the corner of my eye caught my attention. The turkey
carcass! Where is it? It is not in the pan! Jake! He slowly crept towards me, tail between legs. I was furious. A whole turkey carcass? Impossible. Surely he did not eat the whole thing! I was terrified. What if this kills him? Am I to blame? But, as I gazed into those big, sorrowful, apologetic eyes, my heart melted instantly.


Of course, this big troublesome galute did not show his true colors the day my parents and I drove to the country to pick out a golden retriever puppy. I walked over to a big golden fuzzball that was just sitting in his pen looking at me curiously. When I stuck my fingers through the metal gate, he kissed my fingers. I was sold when those big brown eyes lit up as I lifted him out of the cage. He stayed in my lap sleeping while I petted him for the next hour. Because he was so calm compared to his brothers and sisters, we decided he was the right one for us.


Little did we know that we had brought the best acting dog who ever lived into our home. As soon as i opened the car door to let him out, he suddenly awoke and dashed out of the car and down the street. It took us and hour and a half to catch him.I was still in love with this adorable little creature even though he was the most destructive thing I had ever seen. I guess you could say that he and I had a special bond from the start.


As we have grown up together, we have been through some interesting
times. From eating an entire turkey carcass to playing “catch” with one of the kittens, Jake has always loved to keep things interesting. Jacob McCandles Ishee is by far my closest companion. He is always beside me and still to this day tries to go to school with me every morning. When I come home, he is waiting at the door, and when I say “You ready for bed old man?” He trots up the stairs to his bed that lies right beside mine. I have never had another companion or another dog that has been as faithful and loving to me as my “Budha Buddy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment